Saturday, August 20, 2005

Demystifying Heroes

I think I have bored people to tears about how I love history :)

So I am again killing them with another dose of history-inspired rambling hehe... After all this is my personal blog. Don't like what you're reading? Git!

If there's anyone in our present time who can make heroes human, it's Ambeth Ocampo. Hi Sir :) Sana high school teachers introduce his books as reference to make Philippine history more interesting and correct some misconceptions about our national heroes. The sad thing about high school history teaching is, it looks like ayaw ng teachers gumamit ng reference books. Kung ano ang textbook na approved ng school, they just stick to it. How sad. I get how underpaid and overworked teachers are. But, where can you NOT find underworked and underpaid employees in this country?

A good starting point would be Ocampo's book "Meaning and History: The Rizal Lectures." It gives a feel of how past gives meaning to the present and how it shall affect the future. History is so romantic. But then, I'm one sick person so don't take me seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home