Tuesday, July 26, 2005

St. Ignatius of Loyola


You probably know by now that I hold St. Ignatius close to my heart. He was born IƱigo Lopez de Loyola in Basque country (Northern Spain) on 1491. He was brash, passionate, tactical (he was after all a soldier and is now patron of soldiers), restless, romantic in a Medieval sort of way . He wasn't immune to worldly pleasures (women, gambling, spirits), after all he was a Castilian courtier and a Basque for that matter. Kind of like me, except you have to take out the women, gambling and spirits.

He was hurt protecting Pamplona from French invaders and was sent by his French enemies back to his castle in Loyola to recuperate rather than take him in as prisoner because of his valour in battle.

His recuperation also signalled the onset of his conversion and the
Spiritual Exercises was born.

Many prayers and hymns have been lifted off his Spiritual Exercises, one of which is "Take and Receive," ("Sume et Suscipe") which many Pinoys sing to during Mass.


Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding, and my entire will.
All I have and call my own.
Whatever I have or hold, you have given to me.
I restore it all to you and surrender it wholly
to be governed under your will.
Give me only your love and grace
and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home